These muffins can be made in advance and stored in the fridge or freezer. Makes for a quick, easy, and yummy breakfast!
- 2 cups 100% white whole wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 10 pitted dates
- 2 large or 3 medium bananas
- 3 tablespoons ground flaxseed + 9 tablespoons water
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup melted coconut oil
- 1 1/2 cups chopped carrots (about 4-5 carrots)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Whisk together the 3 tablespoons ground flaxseed and 9 tablespoons water. Let sit while you mix the rest of the batter. This will be the egg substitute and act as a binder for the muffins.
- In a large bowl, sift together the flour, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon.
- In a food processor, combine the dates, bananas, flaxseed mixture (give it one more quick whisk before adding), vinegar, coconut oil, and carrots. Pulse for a minute or so, scraping down the sides as necessary.
- Pour wet ingredients into the dry ingredients. Mix just until everything is incorporated. Do not over mix or the muffins will be tough. This batter will be pretty thick.
- Spoon mixture into paper lined muffin tins. I like to use an ice cream scoop for this!
- Bake for 15-20 minutes, or until a wooden toothpick inserted into the center of a muffin comes out clean.
- Let cool in the muffin tin for 10 minutes, then remove individual muffins to a cooling rack. If they stay in the muffin tins too long, the bottoms will get soggy.
Serve warm immediately, or store in an airtight container in the fridge or freezer. They can be eaten cold right out of the fridge or microwaved for 30 seconds out of the freezer.
(Also makes 36 mini muffins. Bake mini muffins for 10 minutes.)
Adapted from superhealthykids.com