- 1 (15-ounce) can no salt added chickpeas
- 1 clove garlic
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- juice of one lemon
- 2 tablespoons tahini (sesame seed paste – found in any grocery store)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper
- Drain chickpeas in a fine mesh strainer over a bowl. Set bowl of chickpea juice aside. Rinse chickpeas and place them in a food processor.
- Add the rest of ingredients to the chickpeas and puree. Drizzle chickpea juice thru the feed tube slowly until desired consistency is reached. We like ours really smooth and creamy.
- Spoon into a bowl and serve with your favorite veggies.
This is a classic hummus recipe. You can easily adjust the seasonings to your liking. Don’t care for tahini (or don’t have it in your kitchen), the hummus will still be fine. If you like things spicier, add more red pepper. The hummus is also great with toasted pine nuts sprinkled on top for extra flavor and texture.
Love hummus but don’t have the time to make homemade? You can find good brands in the store. Check the label to make sure it only contains chickpeas, tahini, quality oil, and spices.