- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 3 carrots, thinly sliced
- 4 stalks celery, thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 sweet potatoes, peeled and chopped (can substitute 1 pound red potatoes)
- 4 cups low sodium vegetable broth (read ingredients for only veggies and spices)
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme
- 1 cup lentils, rinsed and drained
- couple large handfuls kale, ribs removed and chopped
- Heat oil in a large saucepan or dutch oven over medium heat. Add onion, carrots, and celery. Cook 5 minutes.
- Add garlic, potatoes, salt, and pepper. Cook 2 more minutes.
- Add broth and thyme. Bring to a boil. Add lentils. Reduce heat, and simmer uncovered 15 minutes, or until lentils and potatoes are tender, stirring occasionally.
- Add kale. Cover and cook 5 more minutes.
- Add more broth, if necessary, but we like it thick!