This is a delicious and hearty chili when you don’t have hours to simmer a pot on the stove. It only takes 40 minutes to cook, after 5-10 minutes of prep.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and chopped into 1 inch cubes
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 (15-ounce) cans no salt added dark red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (28-ounce) can no salt added diced tomatoes, undrained
- 3-4 large handfuls of fresh kale, ribs removed and torn into bite sized pieces
- Heat the oil over medium heat in a large saucepan or dutch oven. Add the sweet potatoes and onion. Cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the garlic and spices, and cook for another 2-3 minutes.
- Add the kidney beans and tomatoes, and stir well. Cover, and simmer 20 minutes. The chili starts thick but thins as it simmers. If you like your chili less thick, add about 1/2 cup of water while it simmers.
- Add the kale, and continue to simmer another 10 minutes.
Adapted from wallflowerkitchen.com