Traditional tabbouleh is made with bulgur wheat. If you don’t care for bulgur wheat, or if you don’t have any, it also works great with whole wheat couscous or quinoa. I serve it room temperature for dinner and then eat it cold the next day for lunch!
- zest and juice of two lemons
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups cooked bulgur wheat
- 1 (15-ounce) can no salt added chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 cucumber, seeded and diced
- 3/4 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 3/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 3/4 cup fresh mint, chopped
- 1/4 cup green onions, chopped
- In a large bowl, whisk together the lemon zest, juice, pepper, and salt.
- Gently stir in remaining ingredients.
- Serve immediately at room temperature or refrigerate and serve cold.
Adapted from plantbaseddietitian.com