- 1/2 cup winter wheat berries
- 1/2 cup farro
- 1/2 cup finely diced red onion
- olive oil
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- salt & pepper
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 carrot, diced
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
Wheat berries are actually a whole grain, not a berry. They’re packed with protein and fiber. The combination of farro and wheat berries gives this salad great flavor and texture.
- Place 5 cups salted water in a large saucepan. Bring to a boil. Add the wheat berries and farro. Simmer, covered, over low heat for 25 minutes. Drain and place in a large bowl.
- Saute the red onion in 2 tablespoons olive oil over medium heat until translucent, about 5 minutes. Turn off the heat. Add 1/4 cup olive oil, 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/2 teaspoon pepper.
- Add the onions to the bowl with the wheat berries and farro. Add the green onions, red bell pepper, carrot, and parsley. Mix well.
- Let the salad sit at room temperature for 30 minutes for the grains to absorb the sauce. Taste and adjust any seasonings. Serve at room temperature.
This salad is also great cold the next day for lunch! Try adding diced tomatoes, cucumbers, and avocado, too!
Adapted from Ina Garten, 2014